Monday, October 29, 2012

Voting

Time to get up on my Soap Box...

I early voted this past weekend.  On a Sunday afternoon, the polling place opened at 1 PM so my wife and I arrived a few minutes early.  What we found was that everyone else had the same idea.  It did my heart good to see all the different people early voting - old, young, black, white, brown, and every other color under the sun.  There were parents who'd brought their children, there were married couples and there were single people.  Even though it was a sunny (and very nice) Sunday afternoon during football season, the place was crowded with long lines but everyone was patient.  Good to see people still care.

I'm a big believer in making sure everyone has the opportunity to vote - that is why I'm such a big fan of early voting.  Where I live people have two weeks (including a weekend) to early vote and there are dozens & dozens of sites where they can go.  If voting is important to a person, I think they can find a way to set aside time out of their busy schedule and go and vote.  It is up to the individual to get out and vote.  It is also up to the individual to know what is on the ballot.  I can't tell you how many times I heard someone ask, "What does this mean?"  Don't wait until you show up at the polling place to first learn what's on the ballot!  Find out what you're voting for before doing the actual voting.  Create a "cheat sheet" so you know which Candidates and other ballot items that you are in favor of or against.

United We Stand!

No comments: