Monday, March 24, 2008

What a week for technology........

Last Thursday and Friday were interesting days for me. On Thursday, I attended Microsoft's launch event for Server 2008, SQL 2008, and Visual Studio 2008. I was especially interested in Server 2008 and what it can do in regards to virtualization. If Microsoft can get their Hyper-V product to work as advertised, it should be interesting to see what VMware does to counter it. Initially, I was leaning towards VMware, but if Hyper-V works, then I just might make the switch. I see virtualization as a key component as I work to upgrade the infrastructure at my firm. And since I make the decisions, I get to choose which vendor to use for virtual software. It's good to be the king!

On Friday, I drove up to Austin to visit Core NAP, a tier 4 collocation facility in north Austin. From the start I was impressed with the people and what they had to offer. The place looked impressive, has plenty of redundancy, and a top shelf technical staff. Plus quite of few of the dudes there had long hair so to me that is a sign of greatness!

No comments: