Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why re-invent the wheel?

I don’t know what all the fuss is over a “new” national health care bill. Why create a “new” national health care system when two systems already exist? Let me explain.

My first suggestion is to open up to the general public the generous benefits enjoyed by members of Congress. It is a federal program that’s been in place for decades. Have an open enrollment period to allow public access to the same doctors and medical facilities that Senators have enjoyed for years. Sure, Senator what’s-his-name might have to wait while the doctor treats a flu victim, but that is a sacrifice I’m willing to have members of Congress make. Imagine the great PR shots of members of Congress mingling with constituents (other than at an election event) while everyone waits for the doctor to see them. I have a feeling that Nancy Pelosi will be the first one in line.

If Congress says no to my first proposal (I can’t imagine why), then my second suggestion is open enrollment in Medicaid & Medicare. These two programs have been around for decades. Sure, patients complain about the lack of services and slow treatment programs. But hey, at least everyone is covered by medical insurance. Now Doc, how long must I wait for that darn paperwork to get processed?

Both of these suggestions fall into the “Public Option” so popular these days with folks on the Left. While folks on the Right can’t really complain because there won’t be any “new” government programs created (technically, existing programs will be expanded, but let’s not ruin the mood).

No comments: