Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Uncertainty Principle

I’m old enough now to worry about supporting my family in down economic times but not too worried about my 401(k) which is tied directly to the NYSE - unless you are about to retire tomorrow, keep plugging away and pay into your account. Everyone is sitting around saying, “When will things slow down?” or “When will I loose my job? Actually, I have a friend who lost his job as a Controller for a small firm that manufactures LEDs so I know there is a slow down. I work for an executive staffing firm and especially for the Banking industry, things are tough. In good times, companies will pay fees for the right candidates to fill open jobs. But in bad times, most firms will find their own candidates to fill those few job openings that exist. I’m not sure what this means for my immediate future – I am a Department of One but the network at working is functioning as it should so I worry that management will say to themselves, “Why do we need an IT guy, things are working great! While my job on a daily basis isn’t as challenging as I’d like it to be (I’m with a small firm with little room for bleeding-edge technology), I enjoy the people at my work plus I have my own office and ride my bike each day. So what does it all mean? I don’t know - hence the word uncertainty.

Rob

No comments: